It’s just struck me that none of the 5 records that totally blew my mind during the grunge era could actually be classified as grunge.
The list would have to be (in no particular order):
- Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream (1993)
- Mr Bungle – Disco Volante (1995)
- Faith No More – Angel Dust (1992)
- Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine (1992)
- R.E.M. – Automatic For The People (1992)
I lost 3 of these 5 in a burglary in 1995, but have since replaced them all. I’m not sure that Rage Against the Machine had much influence on me past the 12 months this record was released, but I still listen to the other 4 records to this day.